Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2009

'music is what feelings sound like'

I love music! I do! And I like to think I have a really broad style of music taste. But there is a sad part to my liking...I can neither sing nor play an instrument. Funny thing is...I sang in college for my sorority's all-sing group. They begged me to! Yes it sounds crazy because I just stated that I can not carry a tune in a bucket...but it is true. I was a space filler b/c we didn't have enough people!! We did songs from the musical Annie and wore red wigs. I must find those pics and share them! We ended up placing 2nd. I think it was out for 4 teams but we still placed! I enjoyed it so much that I did all-sing my Junior and Senior year as well. Fun times.

Now the reason I bring this up is because there is a radio station that I must share. It is called the PIG....96 oink 1 (96.1) http://radiopig.com/96oink1/ I love it so much that I am blogging about it! They play limited commercials (if they do it is about BBQ, ironic I know) and I rarely hear the same song twice in a week. They play music from the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 80's, 90's, and today! Let me just give you an example of what I heard this past week: An Elvis version of 'fever', Pete Yorn, the Rolling Stones, Frank Sinatra, Whitesnake, jazz song, Patsy Cline, the GooGoo Dolls, a blues song about Germantown (not having enough Prada purses!), Counting Crows, Wallflowers, DMB, Judy Garland, Norah Jones, Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Hank Williams Sr, Randy Travis, the Oakridge Boys, U2, Jack Johnson, Jimmy Buffett, The Penguins, Alison Kraus, the Police, and so on. I think they stole my iPOD and put it on the radio!

The good news is that if you don't live in the Memphis area, you can listen online at http://www.radiopig.com/listen.htm Listen and I promise you will like it! The only thing they don't play is rap, heavy metal, or current pop music. So if that is your tune, then don't tune in.

Music brings people together. I can hear a song and sometimes it brings back a memory that I thought was lost. I like to hear stories of what songs mean to people. I think the new Dave Matthews song 'Funny the way it is' really describes how music can have different meanings to people.
"Funny the way it is, Not right or wrong
Somebody’s heart is broken, And it becomes your favorite song"

After college I started listening to jazz. I think it is so beautiful. My favorite is Louis Armstrong. If you ever are in New Orleans, there is a jazz band made up of older men that play Louis songs. Kyle and I sat and listened to the 3-man band (we were the youngest people there!) when we went a couple of years ago. A year later Kyle went back to where we heard them and they were still playing. We got engaged and had our 1st dance to Louis.

Of course I have to bring up MJ's death and how the last 2 weeks have really brought back some great memories of his songs. Kyle loves 'Billy Jean' and it was a song on our reception play list.

It never fails that my mom calls me when she hears Angie by the Rolling Stones...or Hey Ya by Outcast.

I was with my mother-in-law last week and she heard "her song" that her and my father-in-law share.

I will leave you with some music quotes to ponder on...

Music's the medicine of the mind. ~John A. Logan
Music is the universal language of mankind. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Outre-Mer
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo
Music is an outburst of the soul. ~Frederick Delius
Music is what life sounds like. ~Eric Olson
Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate. ~Arnold Bennett
Music is the literature of the heart; it commences where speech ends. ~Alphonse de Lamartine
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine
A jazz musician is a juggler who uses harmonies instead of oranges. ~Benny Green
Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
Music is love in search of a word. ~Sidney Lanier
Music is well said to be the speech of angels. ~Thomas Carlyle, Essays, "The Opera"

No comments:

Post a Comment