Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

food for finance: patrick and dave

(healthy) food for finance is a column where we talk about how fitness and finance correlate with each other. join us on our journey to be both physically and financially fit.


It is not a secret that we love watching The Biggest Loser and we're on the Dave Ramsey plan.  The two collided today! If I'm in my office at work, chances are I am listening to The Dave Ramsey Show.   It is nice to have a cheerleader everyday telling me that I can do this! Kyle and I are so close to being debt free but the house we can taste it!

Kyle calls me today and said "did you hear Patrick House from The Biggest Loser on Dave Ramsey's show?"
 I said "NO, I was on the phone with a parent!! I missed it!" So what did I do? I got home and pulled up the archives and listened to it!  Patrick was last season's winner of the show.  He lost 50% of his body weight (181 lbs), won his life back AND a quarter of a million dollars.  He wanted to know what to do with the money.  In true Dave fashion, he told Patrick to 1. set back some for taxes 2. pay off his debts (he had about 22k in student loans) 3. set up three to six months of expenses for an emergency fund and 4. put the rest of the money towards the house.  He warned him not to take advice from broke people! Or his brother-in-law that is a financial advisor that might tell him to invest it.

One thing Patrick said was that this time last year, he had no job and was over 400 lbs. What a difference a year makes. He now has a job making over 70k a year working at a school teaching children how take control of their lives and their health...just like he did. He also does speaking engagements making anywhere from 5k to 7k. It is funny how when you have discipline in one area of your live, it rolls on into other areas. It is contagious! I know Patrick had a lot of help getting to where he is today, but HE put in the work and HE decided to finally do something about his life and change it for the better. HE chose to make the first step and that is what I admire about him!

Kyle has come so far with his weight lose and we are both working really hard on our finances.  With disciple, motivation, support, and encouragement...we'll make it!
*thanks NBC.com for the picture
**Update: on Dave Ramsey's website today (02/02/11) they have the audio and a blog about Patrick calling in.  Here is the link if you want to read and listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment