Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

food for finance: we did it!

(healthy) food for finance is a column where we talk about how fitness and finance correlate with each other. join us on our journey to be both physically and financially fit.

Why would I tell the world wide web about our family finances? Because WE'RE DEBT FREE but our house. We were projected to hit this goal in April. In the words of my mother, we  "ciphered" and squeezed every penny we could find and paid off my student loan our final debt last Friday!! God is good! Ironically, we had tickets to see Dave Ramsey live in Nashville on Saturday. What a great way to start off our debt free weekend. Here is how it all went down. 

We headed to Nashville and made a pit stop in Thompson Station to see Carol and meet baby Norah.

She's already 5 months old! Carol and I were sorority sisters  in college.  I miss seeing her but it makes it special when I do spend time with her.

Since we were south of Nashville, I had an idea. We had to pass through Brentwood to get to my old roommate Lauren's house. What's in Brentwood you ask? Dave Ramsey's radio show! When people become debt free, they call in the show and yell "we're debt free!" It is called debt free Friday. Some people even drive to the show and scream from the lobby. Since it was Friday and we were debt free, guess what we did?

No, we didn't call the show nor go in the lobby! It was 5:15 when we arrived. The show was over but people were still in the lobby. Instead, we jumped up and down in front of the sign! We made a promise to each other that when we paid off our house, we'd come back and do this right! We'll be in the lobby yelling!

I have a sweet husband! He accepts me and my crazy 'picture taking' ideas!  We noticed something about the parking lot. There were a lot of 'beaters' there. Definition of a beater: an old, reliable car that will get you from point A to point B. Dave will tell you sell your car (if you have a very large car note) and buy a beater. Kyle thinks that half the parking lot were beaters. Duck tape on the windows and all!

After jumping for joy, we made it to east Nashville to hang out with Lauren! She cooked us a healthy, yummy dinner. This was a huge deal as she never really cooked when we were roomies.

She then took us around east Nashville to some fun places. Where we met some fun people...

...fun people with mullets! He told us he's only had it for 2 days. I thought he lost a bet. You can't see his cut off flannel sleeves in this picture. We found out he was born in Memphis. Always a fun time with Lauren!

I woke up bright and early the next morning! If you would've told me 5 years ago that I'd be excited to sit through a money conference, then I would've laughed in your face.

We needed a hearty brunch so we went to the Pancake Pantry with our friends Scott and Brandy who were also attending the show. It was well worth the 30 minute wait in the cold for this! Brandy got the chocolate chip pancakes.

I got the sweet potato pancakes.  The guys got an omelet and 3 butter milk pancakes. It was so good! I'm supposed to be talking about healthy food right? However, I'm all about balance! You must reward yourself!  Go there if you're ever in Nashville!

The pre-game started at 12 noon. The band was staff from Dave's team.

They sang a song about Dave. A song about how Dave fans say "well Dave says.." and how non-fans say "I don't care what Dave says!"

I had the best time sitting beside Brandy. I've heard the Dave jokes and stories but she had not! She laughed the whole time!

We did not plan to be debt free by the time we saw Dave. We wanted to go to the show to help us in our sprint.10,000 people all in one room together helped confirm what we did was correct! Dave Ramsey poked fun at how people think 'Dave followers' are in a cult! ha! There were some Nashville celebs in the audience. A band member of Kings of Leon was there as well! What is "in the water" we are drinking! Some people think Kyle and I have lost it!

Surgeries were preformed at the show.
It was a plasetomy! Definition: the shredding of ones credit cards. I laughed!

I think they should melt the shredded cards and make some art work.

 Kyle and I had a great time. We ate at Outback on the way home. We had to be home for church the next morning since we're taking Financial Peace . It was a long 24 hour trip! But well worth it! Kyle and I sat down last September and decided to attack my student loan our final debt in our debt snowball.  Because we were serious about this, we got real nerdy and made goals to put on the fridge. We went beyond paying off all debt but the house! We plan to pay off the house!
Keep in mind we've been working at this since we got married, a little over 2 years. It felt great to cross off # 1. I can't thank God enough for placing a great man in my life that encourages me in so many ways!  I'm proud to be a member of TEAM MCCOY! Now on to Baby Step 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment