Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

Food for finance: home ownership horrors

The joys of home ownership. We tend to have to dip into our emergency fund more than we'd like. Let me give you an example of what goes on in our lives. 

For a while now, I've been noticing that part of the floor in the bathroom was warm. Since I'm post-pardum, I thought it was my hormones acting all crazy and didn't think nothing of it. 

Saturday, Kyle showed me a stream of water surrounding our house. It had not rained. 

Strange.
We called a plumber and he was coming out the next day. 

Then it hit me. 

Could the warm floors (and now warm carpet in the living room) be connected? I did what any normal person does these days. I googled it. 

The "I'm feeling lucky" google search said:
HOT WATER PIPE LEAK UNDER THE CONCRETE SLAB. 
Kyle sent a text to the plumber about the warm floors and he said that was most likely the case. And it was. I'm such a great problem solver...thanks to google!

He had to cut 5 holes in our walls to find the leak. He cut 3 holes in the living room and 2 in the kitchen. Then he cut around the hot water heater.

We were so blessed to have our neighbor give us their plumber's number. It would have been EXPENSIVE to have a plumbing company to come out on a holiday weekend. Thankfully this guy wanted the extra work on his days off. We had someone from our small group come out and confirm what we knew. We have such a sweet church family.

All this to say, I am so happy and thankful to have a fully funded emergency fund. Yay for having a baby step 3! This is the very reason why Kyle and I are on the Dave Ramsey program. Unexpected things are going to happen. We want to be prepared when they do, with our fists up ready to fight! It's annoying to have these things happen (because it delays our long term goal to pay off our house) but not at all stressful. Well, maybe I'm a little stressed that I'm going to be swallowed up in a sink hole. 

Jonah watching handy-man Jose repair the wall. 
Here is an update: we no longer have holey walls! Our wonderful handy man came out to repair them. He also painted our shed. (Happy father's day Kyle!) If you ever need a handy man, I've got the guy for you! He is AMAZING!

Happy home ownership y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment