Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

food for finance: schock vs weiner

(healthy) food for finance is a column where we talk about how fitness and finance correlate with each other. join us on our journey to be both physically and financially fit.


However you feel about the new health care bill, lets face it....it is going to go up in price. And why? Because we as Americans are letting it! I honestly have no idea what Congressmen Aaron Schock stands for except that he is the the youngest congressman (age 29) and he was on the cover of Men's Health.

I saw this clip from the Today Show and I was so excited!  Aaron Schock is challenging Americans to be fit for life. He talks about how you have to make a change for yourself.  It does not have to be a big change all at once. Start by going for a walk 3 days a week for 15 minutes. Choose to drink water instead of a coke. Have fruit instead of chips for lunch. And the list goes on.

  Don't confuse Aaron Schock's chest pictures with congressman Anthony Weiner.  Aaron did his photo shoot to encourage Americans to live a healthier lifestyle. The big fight in Washington is "who is going to pay for health care?" We are!  According to the CDC, Americans spent $147 billion dollars in 2008 on medical care costs relating to obesity.

Not having enough time is the excuse I hear a lot when people talk about loosing weight. I don't have time. I can't. Yadda, yadda, yadda. When Kyle and I cut our cable, we realized how much t.v. we were watching. It took us doing that to figure out we could be doing so much more with our time. We have our cable back now but we don't watch it near as much as we used to.

In Michelle Obama's Let's Move website, it says "Eight to 18-year old adolescents spend an average of 7.5 hours a day using entertainment media, including, TV, computers, video games, cell phones and movies, and only one-third of high school students get the recommended levels of physical activity."  We all need to step it up and encourage each other!  Challenge each other to do something you normally wouldn't do. Go for a bike ride. Go on a hike. Walk the dogs. Take the kids to the park. Play hide and seek. Since it is so hot out there, find a pool and swim (this is me hinting to my pool friends to invite me over!)

My awesome husband did his part by lowering his LDL and HDL. Since he's lost 60 pounds and kept if off, he's helping to bring that $147 billion down just a little. Who knows what kind medical problems he'd have if he didn't take control of his life.

My job is even on board. We get so many points for getting our annual check-ups, exercising, being smoke-free, etc. This year I got the most points and my health insurance did not go up. Instead I get $15 off a pay period for being in good health. Such a great incentive to be healthy.

Thanks Congressman Schock for taking one for the team and baring it all for such a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment